This newsletter includes:
- Don’t upgrade your HMC to 8.8.4 before reading this.
- Putting the HMC 8.8.4 mandatory fixes on is VERY different
- Problem using the new Access Client Solutions client as a LAN Console
- Java 7 & 8 on IBM i
- Release levels and PTFs
I hope you all had an amazing holiday, and your new year is off to a great start. The New Year is always filled with great ideas, motivated goals, and ways we think we can improve ourselves. Hey, even if you don’t succeed at all of them, just trying or wanting to be admirable. How about some less lofty goals that as IT professionals we should be doing ourselves:
- When was the last time you updated your email signature? Wait; don’t have an email signature, great time to create one. Perhaps you changed your specialization, or you just moved to a new area with a new phone number?
- Résumé in need of a refresh?
- Do you have presentations that you do; perhaps a refresh of the slide deck is overdue?
- When was the last time you fully backed up your phone, your iPad, your PC? Don’t have a backup device, go get one at just about any store and use it to back up your data. Don’t forget those pictures.
- Passwords? Time to review your passwords, and make sure they are “Strong” passwords, and not have any weak passwords which can be compromised easily.
- Pick one new skill for this year, and learn it. As IT professionals, if we aren’t learning new skills we are going backwards, not maintaining status quo. Remember, both your local user group and COMMON are great places to enhance your skills.