Prior to November 2020, IBM i 7.1 has not been available on servers with IBM POWER9 technology-based processors. Now an IBM i 7.1 Activation is available on the following servers with these specific configurations:
- Power Systems S922 (9009-22A) requires a Virtual I/O Server (VIOS), and the IBM i partitions must be set to restricted I/O mode. The Power Systems S922 (9009-22A) with 4-core processor is not supported with IBM i.
- Power Systems S922 (9009-22G) requires VIOS, and the IBM i partitions must be set to restricted I/O mode. The Power Systems S922 (9009-22G) with 4-core processor is not supported with IBM i. The Power Systems S922 (9009-22G) with 1-core processor will not support the IBM i 7.1 activation.
- Power Systems E980 (9080-M9S) requires VIOS, and the IBM i 7.1 partitions must be set to restricted I/O mode.
For information regarding restricted I/O mode, see IBM Knowledge Center “Changing Advanced Partition Settings“.
The IBM i 7.1 Activation is a hardware feature that enables IBM i 7.1 to install and run on the Power S922 and Power E980 servers. The IBM i 7.1 Activation hardware feature does not change any IBM i software ordering behavior in e-config.
Steps to order the IBM i 7.1 Activation on the S922A, S922G, and E980:
For both initial orders and MES orders, the IBM i 7.1 Activation feature is on the “Order Codes” display. The IBM i 7.1 Activation feature will generate a hardware activation code. Upon order fulfillment, retrieve the hardware activation code from Power Systems Capacity on Demand.
For new orders of the Power S922 or Power E980 server where the IBM i 7.1 Activation is desired, order the IBM i 7.1 Activation hardware feature. For the IBM i software order on those servers, order either a currently supported release of IBM i, which is 7.3, or later, or order IBM i 7.2 through the withdrawn order path. For IBM i entitlement transfers to a Power S922 or Power E980 server, if a client’s IBM i entitlement on the donor machine is at IBM i 7.2, or earlier, the entitlement will be upgraded to IBM i 7.3 or IBM i 7.4 upon transfer to the Power S922 or the Power E980.
For existing Power S922 or Power E980 servers, order the IBM i 7.1 Activation hardware feature.
The IBM i 7.1 Activation feature codes:
- EB3U for the S922G and S922A
- EB3V for the E980
More from this month:
- Java Precedence in IBM
- Tailoring the Operational Assistant Backup Exit
- Security Testing for Denial of Service Attacks Testing
- iAdmin Spring 2021: Registration Open
- [Podcast Episode] The New FlashSystem 5200: Features and Functions to Know
- IBM i Security Resource Page
- iTech iTip Videos
- Sips & Tricks: Coffee with iTech
- iBasics: IBM i Education for the Beginner System Administrator
- Upcoming Events
- IBM i, FSP, and HMC release levels and PTFs (March 2021)