Moving a Physical Adapter via HMC using Classic GUI vs. Enhanced+ GUI or HMC V8R8.7.0 and higher version
Manually Moving the PCI Fiber Channel Adapter/IOA from Partition B to Partition A
Note: Not shown in this process/steps, you will need to check and vary off, if needed, the resource using the physical adapter on Partition B, (i.e., tape library, tape drive), and then vary on the resource that will use the physical adapter on Partition A.
Using the Classic GUI
- Sign into the HMC V7
- Sign in
- Sign into the HMC V8 (V8R8.3.0 through V8R8.6.0)
- Check Classic (V8R8.6.0 final support for Classic GUI)
- Sign In
- In the Navigation pane, in the left portion of
the window, open: Systems Management > Custom Groups > All Partitions
- In the Work pane, check the box under Select, for the H partition – options on the bottom will appear
- On the bottom, select: Dynamic partitioning > Physical Adapters > Move or Remove.
- Next, in this example, check the box next to
slot C12 (Description: 8 Gigabit PCI Express Dual Port Fibre Channel Adapter)
- In options, use drop down button in Move to
- Select A(1), then click the OK button.
- In options, use drop down button in Move to partition.
Using the Enhanced+ GUI or HMC V8R8.7.0 and higher
- Sign into the HMC V8 (V8R8.3.0 and through
- Check Enhanced+ (V8R8.3.0 initial support for Enhanced+ GUI)
- Sign In
- Sign into the HMC V8R8.7.0 or V9
- Sign in
The enhanced UI does not support dynamic logical partitioning (dlpar) move. The user must first remove the adapter from the current owning partition then add the adapter to the target. The operating system device needs to be “varied off’ prior to removing the adapter from the owning partition.
1. Remove the adapter from current partition.
Select Resources > All partitions.
Select the partition that owns the resource now.
Then, click on the Physical I/O Adapters:
Select the I/O adapter to remove.
Click Action > Remove Adapter.
At the prompt “The selected adapter will be removed. Do you want to continue?” Click OK
Click the Save button at the top of the physical I/O Adapter panel to apply the changes.
This will remove the adapter from the partition.
Note: The device would need to be varied off prior to removing the adapter.
Add the adapter to the target partition.
Select the target partition
Select Physical I/O Adapters:
Click Add Adapter. Select the adapter to add, then click OK:
Click the Save button at the top of the
physical I/O Adapter panel to apply the changes
The IO adapter should now report in to the target partition.