Below is a table of the major group PTFs for the last few releases. This is what we are installing for our customers on iTech Solutions Quarterly Maintenance program.
The easiest way to check your levels is to issue the command WRKPTFGRP. They should all have a status of installed, and you should be up to the latest for all the above, based upon your release. Now there are more groups than the ones listed above, but these are the general ones that most people require. We can help you know which group PTFs you should be installing on your machine based upon your licensed programs. Here is a nice tidbit. The Cumulative PTF package number is broken down as YDDD, where Y is the year and DDD is the day it was released. Therefore, if we look at the cumulative package for 7.3, the ID is 18023. We can determine that it was created on the 23rd day of 2018, which is January 23, 2018. Look at your machine and this will give you a quick indication of just how far out of date in PTFs you may be.
If you have a Hardware Management Console (HMC,) you should be running:
|HMC Version||Fixes (recommended install order)||End of Service|
|V9.2 for POWER-based (7063-CR1) HMCs||
|V9.1 for POWER-based (7063-CR1) HMCs||
April 30, 2021
|V8.870 for POWER-based (7063-CR1) HMCs||
||August 31, 2019|
|V9.1 for Intel-based (7042-CRn) HMCs||
April 30, 2021
|V8.870 for Intel-based (7042-CRn) HMCs||
August 31, 2019
||October 31, 2018|
May 31, 2018
November 30, 2017
July 31, 2017
October 31, 2017
June 30, 2016
December 30, 2016
October 31, 2015
February 28, 2015
May 31, 2014
Fixes are listed above in the order in which they should be installed for each software version. Be sure to read the release notes for each HMC version, service pack, and PTF for installation instructions and prerequisites.
Not all software versions are supported on all HMC models. Check IBM’s Supported HMC Hardware Matrix to see which versions your HMC can run. Attempting to install an unsupported version can result in an unusable HMC.
- HMC v9+ is required to manage a POWER9 system. The new POWER9 “G” model firmware requires service pack 941 to be installed on the HMC. HMC v9 cannot manage POWER6 or older.
- HMC v8+ is required to manage a POWER8 system. HMC v8 cannot manage POWER5 or older.
- HMC v9.1 will be the last release to support x86-based physical HMCs (machine type 7042). Support will continue for x86-based virtual HMCs.
- HMC v8.8.6 was the last release to include the “Classic” interface.
- Beginning with HMC v8, the upgrade process supports a maximum span of two releases. Some examples:
- HMC v8.8.1 supports upgrading from v7.7.8 and v7.7.9.
- HMC v8.8.2 supports upgrading from v7.7.9 and v8.8.1.
- HMC v9.1 supports upgrading from v8.8.6 and v8.8.7.
- When upgrading to v8.8.6 or v8.8.7, carefully read the installation notes in the readme file before you begin. There is a step during the upgrade process which can fail without warning, leaving the HMC unusable. The only option when this occurs is to perform a fresh install of the HMC software and reconfigure the appliance from scratch. To that end, IBM provides a list of settings you should make note of before beginning the upgrade in case they are needed.
If you have a Flexible Service Processor (FSP) your firmware should be:
|Machine Processor||Model||Version||End of Service|
|POWER5 or 5+||520, 515, 525, 550, 570||SF240_418_382||11/30/2012|
|POWER6||940x, M15, M25, M50||EL350_176_038||01/31/2017|
|8203-E4A, 8204-E8A, 8204-E4A||EL350_176_038||01/31/2017|
|MMA, 560, 570||EM350_176_038||01/31/2017|
|POWER7||8231-E1B, 8202-E4B, 8231-E2B, 8205-E6B, 8233-E8B, 8236-E8C||AL730_159_159||05/31/2018|
|8231-E1C, 8202-E4C, 8205-E6C||AL740_167_167||05/31/2018|
|POWER7+||8231-E1D, 8202-E4D, 8231-E2D, 8205-E6D||AL770_126_126||05/31/2018|
|POWER8||8408-E8E, 8284-21A, 8284-22A, 8286-41A, or 8286-42A||SV860_226_165||Not Announced|
|9119-MHE or 9119-MME||SC860_226_165||Not Announced|
|POWER9||9009-22G, 9009-41G, 9009-42G, or 5105-22E||VL950_045_045||Not Announced|
|9008-22L, 9009-22A, 9009-41A, or 9009-42A||VL950_045_045||Not Announced|
Important note: For HMC-managed systems, POWER9 firmware level 950 requires HMC v9.2 M950 or higher. This HMC version will not run on x86-based HMC hardware (7042-CRn). If you have an Intel-based HMC, do not update your system to 950 firmware.
If you need help with upgrading your HMC or FSP just give us a call. We will be happy to perform the function for you or assist you in doing it. Contact us here.